Thursday, May 29, 2014

Moving with Math Field Day

Each year in collaboration with my mom (a fellow Physical Educator, lucky me) I pick a theme for Field Day. I usually pick something that is current or can be tied into SOLs. This year I did a Math theme and the kids really enjoyed it.



I set up about 25 centers around the track for half of the classes to rotate through. At these centers each class visits an event and divides into 3 teams. The students are divided into six colors using wrist bands and each color is paired up with another color at each event to form 3 teams. This cuts down on wait time without taking away the competition aspect. Also, each student gets a chance to team up with every student in their class.  These stations were all themed around math.



The other half of the school participated in Grade Level competitions with more traditional Field Day events.  Each class competes against all the other classes in their grade. The wait time is longer but the students love the grade level competitions. See below for this years grade level events and directions.










This year I utilized class coaches. Each teacher was asked to recruit a parent volunteer to help read directions and lead the events. I found that this gave parents the opportunity to help while still being able to watch their child participate in all the events.

I recruited the help of my fabulous 5th graders to set up and take down each event. I just put out the station signs and the start cones. I assigned a small group of students to each station. They were given a map of the track and a diagram of how to set up the equipment.

Hanover High School's Practical Nursing Program sent students to run our First Aid table. It was great seeing them interact with the students. 
Check out the following resources to help organize your own "Moving with Math" Field Day. 



  







No comments:

Post a Comment